Krsna Kirtana Songs est. 2001 www.kksongs.org
Song Name: Keno Hare Krsna
Official Name: None
Author: Bhaktivinoda Thakura
Book Name: None
keno hare kṛṣṇa nām hari bole
mano prāṇ kānde nā
pākhi nā jāni kon aparādhe
mukhe hare kṛṣṇa nām bolo nā
baner pākhi re dhare rāklām hṛdoy mandire
madhu mākhā ei hari nām
pākhi re sikhaile sikhe
pākhi sakal nām bolte paro
keno hare kṛṣṇa nām bolo nā
keno hare kṛṣṇa nām hari bole mano prāṇ kānde nā
calo pākhi rūper deśe jāi
je deśete maner mānuś āśā jāoyā nāi
pākhi re tor maraṇa kalete
carabī vāser dolate
ore cār janete kandhe kore
loye jābe smaśān ghatete
ore o tor mukhe aguna jihve tule
ki korobi tāi bolo nā
Refrain: Oh, why does my heart not weep from chanting the holy names Hare Krsna?
1) The bird of my heart does not know what past sinful activities in has committed to cause this inability to chant Hare Krsna properly.
2) O forest bird! I have kept something for you very carefully within the cottage of my heart – the holy name of Hari, which is overflowing with pure sweet honey. O bird, you could learn the chanting of this name if you were taught.
3) A bird is easily able to speak all names; why then does this bird of my heart refuse to chant Hare Krsna? Oh, why does my heart not weep from chanting the holy names Hare Krsna?
4) O bird! Come, let us go to the spiritual world, the land of true and everlasting beauty. It is the place where the imaginary man of my mind will never again come and go on the revolving cycle of birth and death.
5) O bird! At the time of death, your body will simply be placed upon a funeral stretcher, lifted on the shoulders of four persons and carried to the cremation grounds.
6) Alas! The cremation fire will enter your mouth and then totally consume your tongue. There will be nothing you can do to save yourself, for at that time it is too late – you will be unable to speak anymore.
This song is commonly rendered in Raga Sindhu Bhairavi in Kaherva Tala.
UPDATED: June 28, 2009