Krsna Kirtana Songs est. 2001 www.kksongs.org
Song Name: Syama Piya More Ranga De Cunariya
Official Name: None
Author: Mira Bai
Book Name: None
śyāma pīyā more rańga de cunariyā
aisī rangade ke rańga nāhī chūte
dhobiyā dhoye cāhe yeh sārī umariyā
lāl nā rańgāuń maiń harī nā rańgāuń
apane hī rańga meń rangade cunariyā
binā rańgāye main to ghar nahī jāuńgī
bīt hī jāye cāhe yeh sārī umariyā
jal se patalā kaun hai
kaun bhūmī se bhārī
kaun agana se tej hai
kaun kājala se kārī
jala se patalā jñāna hai
aur pāpa bhūmī se bhārī
krodha agana se teja hai
aur ik kalańka kājala se kārī
mīrā ke prabhu giridhara nāgara
prabhu caraṇana meń
hari caraṇana meń
śyāma caraṇana meń lāgī najarīyā
(Refrain): Oh Dearest Loved Syama, Please color our chunaris.
1) Please color the chunaris that they will never fade, no matter if the washer washes it for my entire life.
2) I don’t want it red, nor do I want it green. I want it to the color of You, the color of Syama!
3) Without having it colored, I will not return home, even if I have to wait my entire life.
4) What is the lighter than water? What is lower than the earth? What is hotter than fire? What is the destruction of light?
5) Knowledge (jnana) is lighter than water. Sin is lower than earth. Anger is hotter than fire, and lust is the destruction of light.
6) The Lord of Mira, the courtly Giridhara, feels very close to the Lotus feet of the Lord, Hari, Syama!
This very popular bhajan written by Mira Bai was the second track of the Golden Avatara tape “Bhajan Sandhya” by Anup Jalota. It was rendered in Raga Kirvani in Kaherva Tala.
UPDATED: July 10, 2009