Krsna Kirtana Songs est. 2001 www.kksongs.org
Song Name: Candana Carcita Nila Kalevara
Official Name: Song 4
Author: Jayadeva Goswami
Book Name: Gita Govinda
harir iha mugdha-vadhū-nikare vilāsini vilāsati kelī-pare
pīna-payodhara-bhāra-bhareṇa hariḿ parirabhya sarāgam
gopa-vadhūr anugāyati kācid udańcita-parama-rāgam
dhyāyati mugdha-vadhūr adhikaḿ madhusūdana-vadana-sarojam
kapi kapola-tale militā lapituḿ kim api śruti-mūle
cāru cucumba nitambavatī dayitaḿ pulakair anukūle
keli-kalā-kutukena ca kācid amuḿ yamunā-jala-kūle
mańjula-vańjula-kuńja-gataḿ vicakarṣa kareṇa dukūle
rāsa-rase saha-nṛtya-parā hariṇa-yuvatī-praśaśaḿse
śliṣyati kām api cumbati kām api kām api ramayati rāmām
paśyati sa-smita-cāru-tarām aparām anugacchati vāmām
śrī-jayadeva-bhaṇitam idam adbhuta-keśava-keli-rahasyam
vṛndāvana-vipine lalitaḿ vitanotu śubhāni yaśasyam
1) Lord Krsna wears yellow garments and His lovely, dark complexioned body is decorated with sandalwood paste. While He enjoys loving pastimes with His gopis, His jewel earrings dance over His cheeks as He smiles at them.
2) Look Radhe! Look at Krsna’s loving and divine lila with all of His surrendered gopis!
3) One beautiful gopi lovingly smacks Krsna with the heavy weight of her devotion! Then she sings to Him from the fifth scale at a higher octave.
4-5) One charmed gopi fixes her love filled gaze upon Krsna’s mukharvinda.Aho! Her playful, batting eyes light become lamps of love for Krsna’s heart! A gopi attempts to whisper something to Krsna’s ear, but ends up kissing His cheek.
6) One haughty gopi grabs hold of Krsna’s garments to playfully pull Him into a solitary location beside the Yamuna.
7) Another gopi is dancing with the rasa with Krsna. As He plays the flute; she claps her hands making her bracelets sweetly tinkle in time with the music. Seeing her skill, Krsna praises.
8) Krsna embraces a gopi, kisses another, and associates with someone else. Then, He eagerly smiles to attract another gopi with His vulnerable eyes. However, noticing a resisting damsel, who is ever more beautiful, He begins pursuing her.
9) O reader! Let Jayadeva’s description of Sri Kesava’s amazing and secret Vrndavana prema keli bring good fortune to you.
This song is featured in the “Abhay Charan” serial soundtrack.
Carnatic musicians sing this composition as a kriti in Ragam Kamavardhani (Raga Puriya Dhanasri in Hindustani) in Adi Tala.
This song was featured in a Malayalam film “Ashtapadi” in 1983 sung by Kavalam Sreekumar and music directed by Vidyadharan.
UPDATED: June 25, 2009