Krsna Kirtana Songs est. 2001 www.kksongs.org
Song Name: Jaya Guru Maharaja Karuna Sagara
Official Name: Nitai Caitanya Arati
Author: Govinda Goswami
Book Name: None
jaya guru mahārāja karuṇāsāgara
śrī bhakti rakṣaka deva-goswāmī śrīdhara
prakāśile nīlācale bhuvanamańgala
gorāpreme mātoyārā nityānandarūpa
rasarāja mahābhāva caitanya-svarūpa
kasita-kāṇcana jini śrī-ańga lābani
duœhuœgale vanamālā bhāvera dolanī
murachita kotīkāma rūparāsarańge
madhūra narttana-bhāva varābhaya bhańge
prema netre dekhe mahābhāgyavāna jane
mṛdańga mandirā bāje suśańkha-dhvānita
bhuvanamohan duihui rūpera ārati
gupta-vrindāraṇyavāsī dekhe niravadhi
śrī svarūpa rāmānanda rūpa-sanātana
raghunātha haridāsa gadādhara dhana
sārvvabhauma gopīnātha jīvānugajana
dekhena āratiśobha durllabha-darśana
nadīyā prakāśe nityānanda-gauranidhi
patitapāvanakṣetra milāila vidhi
śrī guru-prasāde dekhe ei adhama dāsa
(śrī guru-prasāde dekhe śrī govinda dāsa)
1) If we want to do anything we must firstly go to Gurudeva. So we are giving 'jaya' to Gurudeva and taking his permission. Our Srila Guru Maharaj is Srila Bhakti Raksak Sridhar Dev-Goswami and I am giving 'jaya' to His Divine Grace.
2) 'Nilachala' means Puri Dham. There in Puri Dham, both Nitai and Chaitanyadeva are manifested by the divine mercy of Srila Guru Maharaj and Their service is going on continuously.
3) Then comes
the glorification of those personalities who are living on the simhasan (altar). First is the glorification of Nityananda Prabhu, because by the
grace of Nityananda Prabhu
we will get the mercy of Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. We are saying Nitai-Chaitanya,
and it is very appropriate because Nityananda Prabhu is the form of Sri Gurudeva
and also without His mercy we will not get the mercy of Chaitanya
Mahaprabhu. Sometimes we are saying Chaitanya-Nitai but normally Nitai-Chaitanya.
Both are standing there and giving Their merciful glance
to the conditioned souls. One form is in the intoxicated, dancing mood of Nityananda Prabhu, always giving
the fearless spiritual wealth by which we will be benefited. Happily we can practise that. The mood of Nityananda
Prabhu, with His right hand up and left hand giving
merciful blessings is the mood that fearlessly you will do service. And Mahaprabhu is also present there, but in the form of Rasaraja and Mahabhava. Actually Mahaprabhu's form is Krishna Himself taking the heart and
halo of Radharani and becoming Chaitanyadeva.
Then Rasaraja is actually
4) Both are standing
effulgent like gold. When gold is cut with a sharp knife its effulgence comes
out more and more. Their golden form is like that, fully effulgent.
5) If anyone will see that divine form of Nitai-Chaitanyadeva he will faint with transcendental feelings. They are dancing in the mood of bestowing mercy, touching the hearts of everyone and inconceivably giving mercy to the conditioned souls in an unconditional way.
6) Nitai-Chaitanyadeva are like the morning sun and the full moon but our vision is covered. If we look with clean, devotional eyes, full of love and affection, then we can see Their divine form. And for this vision, we need good fortune which comes through the mercy of the Vaisnavas. Then with sadhu-sanga, association of the Vaisnavas and their merciful glance, we can see that divine form.
7) Here is an ornamental expression. When this type of arati comes and we stand in front of Nitai-Chaitanyadeva and do the arati, what do we do? We play the mrdanga and the karatals and we blow the conch. Externally it happens but also internally. With the panchapati, the ghee lamp with 108 wicks, we are doing arati. Externally we are doing this and internally we shall try to see that each lamp of that arati, is not only a lamp but it is the Vedas. The different parts of the Vedas that are existing within bhakti-yoga have taken form in each lamp as a bhakti-yoga lamp. The 108 Upanishads and all others are taking this form and worshipping the Lord through that arati.
8) Anyone who will look with prema netra (eyes of love) will see love, real love and affection, and they will be extremely charmed. Only those who are living in Gupta Vrindavan can see with that type of vision. Gupta Vrindavan means Nabadwip Dham. Those who are living in Nabadwip Dham are always looking at that arati of Nitai Chaitanyadeva. Every day this arati is performed and by the grace of Srila Guru Maharaj this property of Nabadwip has come to Puri Dham to bestow its mercy on the conditioned souls.
9) This type of Arati is only seen by the Nabadwip Dhambasis, the parshadas (associates) of Sriman Mahaprabhu, and those who are very affectionate with Mahaprabhu, Chaitanyadeva. His associates, Sri Svarupa Damodara, Ramananda Raya, Rupa Goswami, Sanatana Goswami, Raghunatha Das Goswami, Haridas Thakur and Gadadhara Pandit are performing this arati and seeing this arati.
10) Sarvabhauma Bhattacharyya, Gopinath Acharyya and Jivanugajana, those who are living in the sampradaya of Jiva Goswami, they are all glorifying that arati, looking at that arati and doing that arati. It is very easy for them to do this but it is very difficult for others.
11) We are so fortunate that the arati of Gauranga and Nityananda is very famous in Nabadwip Dham, where Nityananda Prabhu and Mahaprabhu are present eternally. But in patitapavanaksetra, Puri Dham, it has been mercifully given by our fortune-maker, Sri Gurudeva.
12) 'Avichintya' means inconceivable. This type of arati can only be conceived by a very fortunate soul. He can see it and can also do that arati if he has received the mercy of Srila Gurudeva. Through the mercy of Gurudeva anyone can see this type of manifestation of Nitai-Chaitanyadeva and Their arati, and can join within that sankirttan.
Remarks/ Extra Information:
This is the Nitai Caitanya arati to glorify Sri Sri Nitai Caitanya in Jagannatha Puri.
UPDATED: June 27, 2009