Krsna Kirtana Songs est. 2001 www.kksongs.org
Song Name: Davanala Sama Samsara
Official Name: Guru Devastakam; Gurvastakam
Author: Bhakti Viveka Bharata Goswami
Book Name: None
dāvānala-sama saḿsāra-dahane, dagdha jīva-kula uddhāra kāraṇe
koruṇā-vārida kṛpāvāri-dāne, (vandi) guṇa-sindhu gurura caraṇa-kamala
nṛtya-gīta-vādya-śrī-hari-kīrtane, rohena magana mahāmatta mane
romāńca-kampāśru hoya gaura-preme, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
sadā rata jini vigraha-sevane, śṛńgārādi āra mandira-mārjane
korena niyukta anugata-jane‚ vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
carvya-cuṣya-lehya-peya-rasamaya, prasādānna kṛṣṇera ati svādu hoya
bhakta-āsvādane nija tṛpta roya, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
lubdha-citta jini hana pratikṣane, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
vraja-yuva-dvandva-rati-samvardhane, yukti kore sakhī-gaṇe vṛndāvane
ati dakṣa tāhe, priyatama-gaṇe, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
sarva-śāstre gāya śrī harira svarūpa, bhakta-gaṇa bhāve sei anurūpa
kintu jini prabhu-priyatama-rūpa, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
jāhāra prasāde kṛṣṇa-kṛpā pāi, jā’ra aprasāde anya gati nāi
tri-sandhyā kīrtira stava-dhyāne bhāi, vandi sei gurura caraṇa-kamala
gurudevāṣṭaka ati yatna kori’, brāhma-muhūrte poḍe ucca kori’
vṛndāvana-nātha sākṣāt śrī hari, sevā pāya sei vastu-siddhi-kāle
1) The spiritual master is receiving benediction from the ocean of mercy. Just as a cloud pours water on a forest fire to extinguish it, so the spiritual master delivers the materially afflicted world by extinguishing the blazing fire of material existence. I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master, who is an ocean of auspicious qualities.
2) Chanting the holy name, dancing in ecstasy, singing, and playing musical instruments, the spiritual master is always gladdened by the sankirtana movement of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Because he is relishing the mellows of pure devotion within his mind, sometimes his hair stands on end, he feels quivering in his body, and tears flow from his eyes like waves. I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
3) The spiritual master is always engaged in the temple worship of Sri Sri Radha and Krsna. He also engages his disciples in such worship. They dress the Deities in beautiful clothes and ornaments, clean Their temple, and perform other similar worship of the Lord. I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
4) The spiritual master is always offering Krsna four kinds of delicious food [analyzed as that which is licked, chewed, drunk, and sucked]. When the spiritual master sees that the devotees are satisfied by eating bhagavat-prasada, he is satisfied. I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
5) The spiritual master is always eager to hear and chant about the unlimited conjugal pastimes of Radhika and Madhava, and Their qualities, names, and forms. The spiritual master aspires to relish these at every moment. I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
6) The spiritual master is very dear, because he is expert in assisting the gopis, who at different times make different tasteful arrangements for the perfection of Radha and Krsna's conjugal loving affairs within the groves of Vrndavana. I offer my most humble obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master.
7) The spiritual master is to be honored as much as the Supreme Lord, because he is the most confidential servitor of the Lord. This is acknowledged in all revealed scriptures and followed by all authorities. Therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of such a spiritual master, who is a bona fide representative of Sri Hari [Krsna].
8) By the mercy of the spiritual master one receives the benediction of Krsna. Without the grace of the spiritual master, one cannot make any advancement. Therefore, O brothers, I should always remember and praise the spiritual master. At least three times a day I should offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master.
9) One who, with great care and alteration, loudly recites this beautiful prayer to the spiritual master during the Brahma-muhurta obtains direct service to Krsna, the Lord of Vrndavana, at the time of his death.
Remarks/ Extra Information:
This is the Bengali translation of the song “Samsara Davanala Lidha Loka (Sri Gurvastakam)”.
This is sung in the morning Bengali raga in Kaherva tala.
UPDATED: October 1, 2015